Saturday, September 3, 2011

Obiter Dictum

My final series at Ball State.  Each of these pieces was based on images that came to mind from the patterns in wood grain, floor tiles, and other textured objects.  "Obiter Dictum" is a Latin phrase roughly meaning "passing observation."
 
 1
January 2010
24"x24"
Lion vs. Hyena
Experimenting with color.  I wasn't very satisfied with it, but might try again some other time.
Based on a faux-granite floor tile in my old house

2
February 2010
36"x36"
Based on the grain in the plywood surface I was buying to draw the next piece on.


3
March 2010
24"x24"
Based on a floor tile in the Arts and Journalism building at Ball State

4
April 2010
24"x24"
Based on the floor tile right next to the last one.

5
May 2010
36"x36"
Based on scratches on a piece of furniture in my hotel in Hoi An, Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment